How can a member update information in the member database?

Go the Members area and login. If you do not have a login, you can request one for access to update your information

How can I contact the National Office?

The National Office can be contacted via email (rhochisociety@umich.edu) or telephone (734) 615-4898.

Can I pay for items I order by credit card?

Payment can be made by check or money order made payable to The Rho Chi Society. We cannot accept credit card payments.

How can I check for my chapter’s attendance at past annual meetings?

Chapter attendance can be found under National Meetings with a link to chapter attendance for the past three yeas.

When is the annual meeting of the Rho Chi Society?

The annual meeting is held in conjunction with the annual meeting of the American Pharmacists Association in March or April each year . Details can be found under National Meetings.

What Region is assigned to my school/college of pharmacy?

Regional assignments are listed with the Chapters on the Directories.

What items are available through the Rho Chi Society National Store?

Available items are listed in the Catalogue and can be ordered by completing and mailing the National Office Store Order Form with payment to the address provided on the form.

How can I order honor cords or medallions for graduation?

Honor cords and/or medallions can be ordered from the Catalogue. Print, complete and mail the National Office Store Order Form National Office Store Order Form with payment to the address provided on the form.

How far in advance of a chapter’s planned initiation ceremony should the new member information be submitted to the National Office?

To insure timely delivery of membership certificates, jewelry and other materials, information should be submitted at least four weeks prior to the planned ceremony.

How can I update the information for my chapter on the website?

Updates to chapter information are made in the National Office. For advisor or officer changes, please go to Chapter Resources and complete and submit the relevant forms. For other changes, please contact the National Office (rhochisociety@umich.edu or 734-615-4898).

How can a chapter advisor or designee submit the information for new members and order certificates and jewelry for the induction ceremony?

Advisors are given access to the member database on the website for entry of information for new members. Advisors who cannot access the member database should contact the National Office (rhochisociety@umich.edu or call 734-615-4898). An advisor assigning this responsibility to a designee should contact the National Office regarding this assignment for limited access. Information for new members should be submitted four weeks prior to the planned induction ceremony to insure the timely delivery of materials.

To begin the process of entering new member information, go the Members area of the website or Chapter Resources/New Member Election and login. (This begins the process for the National Office to place orders for the materials for your new member induction ceremony.)

How can a member order a replacement Rho Chi Society membership certificate or jewelry?

Replacement membership certificates and/or jewelry can be ordered via the Catalogue on the website. Print, complete and mail the National Office Store Order Form with payment to the address provided on the form.